Thursday, April 26, 2007

How is WPW treated?

With some people, medications can be prescribed to help with heart arythimias, however these medicines have not been proven to "fix" WPW, just aid in symptom reduction.

The most effective method seems to be ablation surgery. Which is exactly what I had about six years ago when I was about 14 years old. THe surgery is quick, only about 2 hours long. A "wire" with an electrical node on the end inserted into both your neck and your groin.A catheter is also used. The electrical node at the end is what "zaps" away the extra accessory pathways.

For me, the experience was painless and left a barely noticeable scar on my neck. I stayed in the hospital over night and was walking out of the hospital the following afternoon.

I have a yearly checkup with my cardiologist now to just make sure nothing abnormal has appeared again.

No comments: